Flame Detection – the perfect solution for detecting fast-flaming fires in high-risk areas such as waste recycling, turbine rooms and flammable storage areas.
Flame Detection units are optical devices, designed to ‘see’ flaming fires in a specified risk area. (such as a waste bunker or item of machinery)
Flame detection is usually installed in high-risk applications where flaming fires may be expected and speedy detection is essential. Flame detection will respond immediately to the presence of a flame but will ignore the presence of smoke/heat. They are extremely resistant to false alarms and are robust and reliable.
How does Flame Detection Work?
Flame detectors look for the specific frequencies of UV (Ultra Violet) and/or IR (Infra-Red) radiation to detect a flaming fire.
The radiation produced by flames fall within a unique range of frequencies/wavelengths – the detectors only operate within these ranges to help eliminate the risk of false alarms.
The key points you need to know are:
- UV-only detectors are prone to false activation’s. They are best suited to dark/enclosed areas.
- IR2 or IR3 detectors are more versatile and more resistant to false alarms than UV detectors. They are also able to remain effective in high levels of obscuration.
- UV/IR3 Flame detectors are very reliable in outdoor areas, or areas with a lot of natural light shining in.
- A flame detector contains multiple sensors (e.g. a UV/IR2 has one UV sensor and two IR sensors). All of these sensors must recognize the fire condition simultaneously to activate the detector.
Flame Detectors for Waste Recycling Fire Protection:
- Flame Detection is a reliable and cost-effective solution for protecting open risk areas at waste recycling facilities. They are commonly used for activating automatic fire suppression systems.
Flame Detection is not always suitable for the protection of waste recycling process lines. The speed that the material moves at through these areas means that the detector could be unable to spot the fire before it has passed – going on to cause more damage further down the line. Ember/Transit detectors are best for process areas.
- We typically recommend IR3 Flame detectors for waste recycling applications. IR3 detectors offer very speedy (although very accurate) fire detection, and will not be accidentally triggered by activities such as arc welding and flashing lights etc.
- However, if there is a lot of natural light entering the building, IR3 Flame detectors could be prone to false alarms. In this case, we would use UV/IR2 Flame Detectors which are resistant to sunlight.
Explore videos showcasing the Flame Detection System in various cases below.
Waste Facility Fire Detected by Fike IR-3-HD Flame Detector
Fike's IR-3 and UV/IR flame detectors identify fires and explosions in as few as 5 milliseconds and offer high visibility of up to 100 ft. In this video, see how quickly the IR-3-HD flame detector identifies a flame in a waste management facility.
Contact us today for more information and advice about Flame Detection.
Are you ready to prioritize safety?
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us, or you can easily fill out the form below. We’re here to assist you.